My very initial proposal for the Nation3 Constitution can be found here.
You can comment by just selecting text, and then the Hypothesis sidebar will pop up.
There’s an overview of the Constitution here.
In this forum post, I’d like to outline the main points of the draft and some things that set this Constitution apart from others. That being said, I’ve taken good input from existing ones like Iceland’s, Singapore’s… I’d welcome comments and feedback from the community! Keep in mind it’s still an early version, and legal professionals need to conduct a thorough review.
Citizens as ultimate governors
Citizens (through the DAO) are the ultimate governors of Nation3.
While the Constitution imposes checks and balances, there’s no denial that they can eventually be undone by the citizens themselves, with enough time and support. But the system encodes friction to slow down their erosion.
Adherence to declarations of rights
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the Universal Declaration of Animal Rights are embedded within the Constitution. The freedoms described by those cannot be removed from the Constitution.
Dry code > wet code
Smart contracts are legally binding. In a matter that is both regulated by smart contracts and legal contracts, the results of smart contracts are binding, unless explicitly stated otherwise by the parties in an agreement.
Citizenship by possession of NFT
Citizens are deemed so if they possess a passport NFT. The DAO can regulate the requirements for obtaining a passport NFT via smart contracts, those requirements haven’t been formally included in the Constitution.
Financial limited liability
All parties entering in agreements within the Nation3 jurisdiction can only lose two things:
- Any collateral staked in those agreements.
- Their citizenship, in case of criminal offences.
This brings the concept of financial limited liability, previously only available to corporations, to every person within the jurisdiction. Thus entering agreements becomes more desirable, as results are more predictable.
North Star metric alignment
Laws and other governance proposals must describe how they help increase the North Star metrics chosen by the DAO. This ensures maximum alignment between citizens.
No unfair taxation
Unfair taxation is prohibited by the Constitution.
No retroactive laws
Legislation with retroactive effect is prohibited by the Constitution.
Opt-out of laws before they become in effect
If a citizen doesn’t want to be bound by a new law, they have some grace time to renounce their citizenship.
Guardian Guild is the only official guild
The Guardian Guild needs to exist because depending on the whole DAO to keep an informed eye on all deliverables and funding proposals is impractical and lacks ownership.
Possible issues and open questions
- Right now any natural person can become a citizen. This is, of course, unenforceable right now, since passport holders can be anonymous. Will this be an issue down the road, once we have land?
- Right now each Citizen’s voting power are their veNATION holdings. This is important to ensure skin in the game, but also because we don’t have any method of using 1-person 1-vote that is Sybil-resistant and privacy-preserving.
- Right now Citizens are incentivized to interact in agreements with a different Ethereum account, so they cannot lose citizenship while doing so. We should introduce benefits for Citizens to interact with the account that holds their passport, like lowering collateral requirements if the Citizen has built a good reputation over time.
- The Emergency State can be triggered by the Guardian Guild and the Supreme Court Judges Multisig, only if both agree and there’s a force majeure event. This gives power for veNATION holders to pass smart contract-related governance proposals without following the governance process, in order to mitigate events like hacks. This seems needed to make sure we can quickly react to attacks.